CORRECTION: Date changed from July 15th to Thursday, July 23rd.
Happy summer to ya’ll and I hope you’re ready for July. Time flies when you’re having fun, and that’s why we need to HAVE A NEW HOPE KIDS MINISTRY MEETING to get ready for the Fall, which will be on us before we know it.
If you are a current or future (wink wink) kids ministry volunteer, please attend this meeting! Our meeting will be Thursday night, July 23 from 7-8:30 PM at the church (not July 15th).
I’ve been working hard on a few critical things that will help our youth ministry rock and I’d like to meet to talk through them with you. Until then…
Here’s a preview of some of the items, with a few things you can help me with right away:
1. Fill out a Youth Volunteer Application – As we grow, safety will become more of an issue. We want new visitors to feel safe dropping their kids off with us. We also want to protect our volunteers from false accusations. It’s also an insurance thing and we’re implementing a policy based on recommendations from Brotherhood Mutual. This is pretty much standard fare these days for any church. The two main components of our safety policy are volunteer applications and a volunteer training manual.
We will need everybody to have a volunteer application on file, which includes a background check and references. This is not about not trusting anyone or delighting in giving you busy work!! As we start fresh in the Fall, we can all be an example to future volunteers by having an application and background check on file. Thanks for helping me with this.
I’ve included the application and the volunteer handbook (which we will go over at the meeting) but you can get hard copies at church, at the welcome desk in the document holder on the righthand side wall. Please fill an app out and get it back to me as soon as possible (junior and adult volunteers both).
2. Child Registration Forms – This will also be implemented before the Fall. Vicki and I are putting final touches on the form and the process and we’ll start collecting that info probably within the next two weeks.
3. Check in/out process – Also an important thing to implement related to safety. We need a process that is simple, fluid, but secure. This is mainly about transfer of responsibility. If we tell a parent we are watching their child, we need to do so until the parent resumes responsibility. I’m developing a system that we can review and tweak at the meeting.
4. The Gospel Project – We are going to a new curriculum in the Fall called The Gospel Project. I’m really excited about this! It’s the full story of the Bible (over three years) but each lesson points to Jesus. It has great visuals, comes with worship music and videos, craft ideas, etc. I have the first Unit downloaded and we will talk about getting it to teachers at the meeting.
5. New Positions – With the new format and curriculum, we will need to figure out who is doing what and we have need for a couple new positions, like check-in, curriculum prep, craft prep, etc. This is a great time to think about your passions and gifts and time and find a good fit. Case in point, I know Sharon Thompson (hi, mom!) would like to coordinate crafts rather than teach this next year.
I’ve also sent this email to the full list (as many as I have emails for) of all the names Sharon gave me that she had been working with and added a name or two of people who said they are interested in Kids Ministry. Since we are starting fresh, no one is tied into anything yet, so even if you’re on the line about whether to volunteer in the Fall, come to the meeting and see what’s happening! This is a awesome way to serve.
6. Schedules – We now have an online version of the volunteer schedules using Google Docs, so if you loose your hard copies, you can always access them again. Check them out and let me know what you think:
So, essential info: Meeting for all volunteers (current and potential) for kids ministry on Wednesday, July 15th, 7 to 8:30 PM at New Hope. Please fill out an application and bring it to me or Vicki Shadow at church.
Love you all. Thanks for loving our kiddos.